Teaching and Living in the Middle

A National Board Certified Middle Childhood Generalist Teacher . . . in the Middle of My Teaching Career . . . in the Middle of Life . . .
and Life in the Middle is a wonderful place to be!


Tuesday, July 29, 2014


A Slice of Life is a weekly blog hosted by a couple of wonderful writing teachers.  Click on Two Writing Teachers to learn about this wonderful writing community, and how to use it to build a community of writers in your classroom!


I think I am back to reality - making my own coffee, and counting those calories.  I am no longer feasting on gourmet Italian food, stuffing my face with cannoli, and returning each evening to a freshly made bed and clean towels.  My evenings of gazing across the Hudson at the beautiful New York City skyline's magnificent towers and twinkling lights have faded off into the distance.  There are some things though, I will keep with me - always.

Yes, it is good to be home.  I missed my family and my routine.  However, the opportunity to be pampered, honored, and yes - valued at the Mickelson Exxon Mobil Teacher's Academy (MEMTA), is one I will never forget.  It wasn't just that they (Exxon Mobil, the National Science Teacher's Association, and Math Solutions) wined and dined us, and provided the most amazing accommodations at the Hyatt Regency, Jersey City Hotel, and the Liberty Science Center - it was that they kept telling us over and over, "You are great teachers.  We value you.  You are important and that is why we are doing this."  I can't recall every feeling so appreciated and respected in my entire teaching career, and next year will be my twentieth year.

They valued and respected me enough as a teacher to provide state of the art professional development.  They invested in me.  That is such a key word for me.  The five days of outstanding training that was provided sent a message that said, "We respect you and your abilities enough to put our money on you.  We know you will take this and use it to serve kids."  I see far too much requirement in my teaching, and little or no investment. Perhaps this is what made this experience stand out.  

Finally, I met some of the most amazing, intelligent, and friendly people.  To top it off - they were just plain kind.  There was no professional jealousy (at least that I could see), no one-upmanship, and no snarky or negative comments.  These were top-notch teachers at the top of their game, and they acted like the professionals that they are.  We were there to support each other's learning.  And that is exactly what we did.  I have met some people that I hope I can maintain contact with, and always call "friend."

I wish that every teacher could have this experience, particularly our young ones.  I believe it would give them hope for the future.  We need more STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) training like this, more investment in our teachers, and more kindness towards each other and our individual journeys.   It is my profound hope for our students, and the profession that I love, that we will one day get there.

Amy


4 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a well-planned, thought-out conference to invigorate us. It is nice to be valued and respected. I can't think of anything that is more rewarding than to get with a bunch of colleagues and share stories and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fabulous experience. I may post their (your) words on my own mirror, to help me kick-start my day during the school year: "You are great teachers. We value you. You are important and that is why we are doing this." A perfect summer experience - you must be re-charged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words captured the week perfectly! Yes, we were treated with respect and kindness! It was a beautiful thing! I'll be revisiting your words when I need inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The five days sound awesome. I believe that this charged you with energy and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete