Teaching and Living in the Middle

A National Board Certified Middle Childhood Generalist Teacher . . . in the Middle of My Teaching Career . . . in the Middle of Life . . .
and Life in the Middle is a wonderful place to be!


Tuesday, August 12, 2014



A Slice of Life is a weekly blog hosted by a couple of wonderful writing teachers.  Click on Two Writing Teachers to learn about this wonderful writing community, and how to use it to build a community of writers in your classroom!


I remember looking across the crowded room, noticing that there wasn’t an empty seat.  I didn’t know most of the people who came there that day – doctors, nurses, and various staff at the hospital where my mother had worked for over twenty-five years.  There were at least several hundred people there.

There were so many flowers, so many cards and expressions of love.  It was clear that she was someone who was cherished, someone who would be missed.  And I know that this would have surprised my mother greatly.  A sudden and unexpected heart attack had taken her life at the age of sixty-three, and we were there that day to say our goodbyes.

I am reminded of that day today, and of her life because of the sudden passing of Robin Williams.  As I scroll through my facebook page, and watch the news; I wonder if he too would be surprised by the outpouring of love and grief.  I suspect he would be.  That’s what depression does.

That’s what depression does.  It is such an insidious disease.  It builds a wall of illusion between the person who is suffering and the people around them, so that the love and caring can’t get in.  I know the many times I tried, and failed to scale that wall with my own mother.  And the many times she also tried to take her own life.

As with many people who suffer from depression, my mother’s life was one of continuous struggle.  She had to fight to stay here, and when she became so weary that she could no longer hang on, she resorted to the unthinkable act to end her pain.  Fortunately, although she came close a few times, she was never successful.  I do believe though that she died of a broken heart – that’s what depression does.  It breaks the hearts and lives of the person who is afflicted, and those around them.

I pray that someday depression will lose its stigma, so that we can unlock the mystery of this terrible illness – because that’s what depression is.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I couldn't agree more - that's what depression does. The news of Robin Williams death seems to have a far reaching impact that I believe he would never have foreseen. I have a very close friend who's uncle took his own life a couple years ago. She has not mourned properly and when reminded of it, like with the death of Robin Williams, it hits her like it just happened yesterday. She doesn't understand why and becomes almost obsessive trying to figure it out so she can understand the logic behind doing something like taking your own life. The problem is, there is no realistic logic that explains it in a nice package - that's what depression does. I'm going to share your post with her, in the hopes that reading how you explain what depression does, might help. Thank you for sharing.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post had me nodding my head in agreement throughout. So many of us have experienced either depression or trying to connect with a loved one who is depressed...as you so well worded it...failing to scale the wall. That is exactly how it feels. I do hope that the death Robin Williams will open the discussion of what depression really is. It is not just having a bad day and feeling down....it encompasses the whole being and family and friends. Thanks for this post. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear that your mom had to struggle so hard. I am also silent over the sudden death of Robin Williams. I hope that his death will shine a new light on the challenges of depression. Thanks for your heartfelt post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a courageous post. I have no experience with depression so I can't even imagine what it must be like. Thank you for sharing your story about your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful reflection. Thank you.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete